Finally broke 20!

30 Sep

Due to poor weather forecasted for Saturday morning and plans on Sunday, I decided to shift my long run day to Friday to ensure I finally got a long run in.

The weather was perfect – low 50s and a light wind to start the morning.  The first hour of my run was before the sun came up – the darkness and low winds were extremely calming.  My plan was to maintain an 8:30-8:45 pace for the run but I was finding it difficult to not speed up early in the run.  My tendency is to go out too fast (usually b/c I’m running on rested legs)  and then I often pay for it later.

By the second hour, the boardwalk was quickly becoming populated.  The majority of my morning runs are along the boardwalk in Midland/South Beach and into and through Fort Wadsworth, so I am pretty familiar with the early-morning walkers/runners/bikers. The nods of recognition, small hand waves, and smiles helped make the second hour go by extremely fast. It also helped distract me from the strong winds that had seemed to appear out of nowhere!

Surprisingly, I felt the best during the last hour of the run.  Maybe it was the happiness of being so close to being finishing, or knowing that I finally had gotten a good, long run in.  Or maybe it was because I had actually maintained around an even pace for most of the run.  With a few miles left, I decided to pick up the pace a bit to see how I felt.  Miles 19-22 had paces of 8:18, 8:20, 8:16, and 7:43, respectively.

It was a great run and a great way to start the weekend =) To view the course, my splits, and other details of my run, please go to:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: